Italic is used for:
- Pathnames, filenames, and program names
- Internet addresses, such as domain names and URLs
Typewriter Font is used for:
- Anything that might appear in a Java program, including keywords, method
names, variables names, class names, and interface names
- Command lines and options that should be typed verbatim on the screen
- Tags that might appear in an HTML document
To sort out the potential for confusion between different versions, I use
the following dingbats throughout the book:
Identifies a method, variable, or constant that is new
in Java 1.1.
Identifies a method from Java 1.0 that has been deprecated. Deprecated methods are available for compatibility but may disappear in a future release. These methods are tagged with the @deprecated flag, which causes the Java 1.1 compiler to display a warning message if you use them.